Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baby, it's Cold Outside!

We turned up the heat today. It's getting cold outside~the trees are shedding the leaves getting ready for ice and snow. I think we'll have snow this year. My heart and mind are full after a long week. Just want to bury myself under blankets and hibernate--for the winter. I have the song "Baby it's cold outside" in my head after watching the movie "Elf." Such a funny movie with Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel. Love it. Thom and I both fell asleep on the couch. We got home late last night after spending a couple of days in Charleston visiting his folks and some friends. It was a tough time as his mom and dad both have health problems. I wish there was more we can do. It was a humbling time as I am "used" to being served on Thanksgiving--the full meal with all the trimmings surrounded by lighthearted conversation, games, movies, etc. It was a heavy-hearted week where we went to Charleston to serve and love on his family. I wrestled with God in my "princess" attitude at times..."i miss the traditions this year" I told the Lord and He whispered in my ear "whatever you do for the least of these my brethren you do for me." Sacrifices please the Lord when our hearts are serving Him.


the view outside mom's hospital room at Roper hospital


thom holding his mom's hand
My heart is tested again and again. Forgive me God for being so selfish. Last night Thom and I headed over to Wal-Mart to help out his dad and buy him some groceries. It was this sense of placing the focus on another and serving for the sake of serving not to receive anything in return. He was grateful for the extra food and drinks even if he didn't like the Ramen noodles we bought him. Oh well, we are well-stocked with Ramen beef and chicken flavored noodles for the next couple of months!

The greatest blessing this week was being able to stay at our friends, the Schley's house as they were going out to visit family in Atlanta. They have 2 dogs so as we were pet-sitting Scrabble (my paren'ts Shih-Tzu) he had a ball bugging the dogs and getting some company. It was funny because Scrabble kept drinking their water and eating their food so eventually one of their dogs stole his bone. Serves him right, I guess. I sat outside their screened in porch just thanking the Lord..."Thanks God for simple things. A home to stay in..for free. 3 dogs to play with. A screened in porch and warm weather in Charleston."  

me and the 3 dogs. good times.
We didn't get to the beach or the mall but did make it to the community thrift store and found a tree stand for $1! We ate out a lot too some real yummy food and got to meet up with some good friends. We went to Del Taco, Ryan's for Thanksgiving (they had a great buffet dinnner), Yokoso japenese, Ye Ole Fashioned (Thom got a new sandwich that has 2 grilled cheese sandwiches with a burger in the middle), and to top it all off my parents fed us pizza! There is joy to be found even in the small things. Lord point these out to us when life is running fast and hard~let us live a thankful life. Amen.


us and friends at yokoso.



No comments:

Post a Comment