Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Asleep in the Light?

It takes work to do what we love. Today I lead 2 Music Therapy sessions at my church's retirement home. The thing I look forward to the most is meeting the elderly and just interacting with them. It has been a long time since I worked on the elderly unit at the hospital. We've had elderly patients come into the counseling center from time-to-time but today I will meet many--I hope. Honestly I don't know how many will be there in my groups. I've been practicing the guitar with songs like "Peace Like a River" and "Bicycle Built for Two"...I gotta say today it's nice just to "ease" into the day and not rush around and hit the interstate.

Thom delivers his first RTS sermon today. He's preaching on Hosea 2--pray that the Lord speaks through him in a mighty way. I told him this morning as he was packing his books and getting ready to head out the door that he is doing all this training "for the kids." I know ultimately to complete what God has called him too--but to sharpen his skills and stretch him in ways that he'll be more effective as a youth  minister. I am so proud of him--especially on Sunday when he ran the high school youth group-from the icebreaker game, to worship, to the "talk" to the final game. That was a hoot! It was "Flamingo Bowling" where the students wore one long pink sock on one foot hopping up and down like a flamingo and trying to avoid getting hit by a dogeball being bowled into them! Wow, you never know what you'll see at youth group game-time!

I had a hard time admitting to myself yesterday first to my boss and to Thom how tired I've been feeling lately. I hate that word--"tired" it just makes me feel weak and yucky. I have been running hard. It does baffle me how quickly and directly God answers my prayers and speaks to my heart! I've been praying "Lord fill the gap between the now and not yet and give me peace and thankfulness as I wait on you." Something that I'd like to stop doing or do less of is complain. Lord, help me to be thankful today and find joy even in the small things.

Thom all dressed up for his RTS sermon!


Settlers of Catan battle with Chris, Bill, Mike & Chrissy!
 One verse that has really spoken to me lately is Ephesians 4:14: "For it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said, "Wake up, O Sleeper, rise from the dead and Christ will shine on you." Help me Lord find my soul-rest from You even when life is going a mile a minute! This reminds me of another Keith Green song where he sings..."how can the church fight for those asleep in the dark if they're asleep in the light?"

No comments:

Post a Comment